All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor centuries, oysters have had the power to sustain and delight, inspiring writers and artists, lowly cooks and four-star chefs, laborers and gourmands, and everyone in between. A feast for the eyes and the palate oysters also are rich in history and lore. In Oysters: A Celebration in the Raw, Marion Lear Swaybill presents a wide-ranging visual exploration of this iconic shellfish, including stunning portraits of more than fifty oyster varietals, the latest photographs from some of the country s most rewned and beautiful oyster farms, and table illustrations of oysters in the arts and culture, all alongside a lively and informative text. Acclaimed chef and restaurateur Jeremy Sewall provides personal insights, drawing on his New England lineage and his stature in the forefront of the current oyster revival. Oysters: A Celebration in the Raw is true to its title from start to finish. Chapter One is a primer on all things oyster. Chapter Two introduces readers to legendary oystermen and women from around the country. Chapter Three offers exquisite photographs of more than fifty varieties of North American oysters, along with flavor profiles and merroir. Oysters: A Celebration in the Raw concludes with highlights from the oyster timeline, depictions of oysters in art through the ages and stories of oysters as aphrodisiacs, and parses oyster myths and metaphors. The book also features an oyster glossary and resource list. It is the only book of its kinda definitive visual companion to this iconic, much loved mollusk. Overflowing with gorgeous original photography and fascinating anecdotes, Oysters: A Celebration in the Raw is the perfect book for oyster aficionados and newbies, foodies and chefs of all stripes, lovers of photography and art, the environment, history, and the sea.
- Author BiographyMarion Lear Swaybill is an Emmy award-winning television producer, writer, and pioneering media executive. As Director of Program Acquisitions at PBS station WNET, (1981-1989), Swaybill was on the cutting edge of the food-on-television revolution, introducing New York public television audiences to luminary chefs including Madhur Jaffrey, Lidia Bastianach, Martin Yan, Jacques Pepin, Britain s memorable Two Fat Ladies and many others. A cook as well as a writer, her recipes have appeared in the Great Cooks Guide series (Random House) and New England s Sound Magazine. Jeremy Sewall is an award-winning chef and restaurateur based in Boston and two-time James Beard Award nominee. Trained at the Culinary Institute of America, he has cooked in kitchens around the globe, focusing on seasonal ingredients and his New England food heritage. His restaurants Lineage, Eastern Standard, Island Creek Oyster Bar, and Row 34 have received accolades from New York Times, Esquire, Gourmet and The Boston Globe, among others. Scott Snider is an award-winning natural history filmmaker whose work takes him around the world as an accomplished underwater, long lens, and macro cinematographer. Scott has over 45 major credits for National Geographic, PBS Nature, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, the National Park Service and others. He is the founder of Half Moon Productions, a film and photography studio based in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Author(s)Jeremy Sewall,Marion Lear Swaybill
- PublisherAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication10/11/2016
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight928 g
- Width203 mm
- Height203 mm
- Photographer(s)Scott Snider
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.