Ozu International: Essays on the Global Influences of a Japanese Auteur by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $144.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Japan and much of Europe, Ozu is widely considered to be one of the finest film directors who ever lived. While Ozu has a strong reputation in the West, his films are t as well-kwn or widely appreciated in the U.S. as they are elsewhere. A table exception to this trend is film critic Roger Ebert, who recently wrote that Ozu is one of his three or four favorite directors. Also, moving beyond the view that Tokyo Story is a masterful exception in the Ozu can, Ebert sees Ozu's films as nearly always of the same high quality. Ozu International will reflect on Ebert's view of Ozu by arguing that this director deserves broader recognition in the U.S., and that his entire can is worthy of serious study. With the recent release of more than 15 Ozu DVDs in the Criterion Collection, covering every phase of his career at least in part (including silent films, black-and-white talkies, and color films), Ozu International helps to fill a lingering gap in English-language scholarship on Ozu by giving this new generation of scholars a book-length forum to explore new critical perspectives on an unfairly neglected director. Contributions include specialists in Japanese culture, academics from a range of disciplines, and professional films critics.
- Author BiographyWayne Stein is Professor at the University of Central Oklahoma, USA, and teaches classes on Kurosawa, Japanese horror, and Vietnam War cinema. He has coauthored the readers Fresh Takes (2009) and Strategems (2009) and has written various chapters in books and encyclopedia entries on Asian American literature and Asian cinema. Marc DiPaolo is Assistant Professor of English and Film at Oklahoma City University, USA, and is the author of War Politics and Superheroes and Emma Adapted (2007); editor of Godly Heretics: Essays on Alternative Christianity in Literature (2013) and Unruly Catholics: Faith, Progressivism, and Cultural Studies (2013).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication07/05/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Content Note35 bw illus
- Weight469 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byMarc DiPaolo,Wayne Stein
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.