Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis fascinating photographic collection represents a journey both through time and also along the byways of a truly scenic part of rural England. Edwardian photographers' lenses enable us to glimpse celebrations such as Empire Day, we revisit tranquil streets with long-closed shops and pubs and we witness the arrival of the first local motor bus in 1905. Victorian bowls players are shown, along with solemn-faced schoolchildren wearing starched pinafores and Eton collars. The present day images include Painswick's Art Couture Festival, together with views taken from Painswick Beacon and from the church tower. Artists such as Montague Rivers reveal how they interpreted the architecture and townscapes of long ago. Nor, of course, would the Slad chapter be complete without photographs of both Laurie Lee and the legendary Rosie.
- Author BiographyHoward Beard is a local author and he has a keen interest in local history. He is also the author of Stroud Through Time, Nailsworth & Woodchester Through Time and The Stonehouse Valley.
- Author(s)Howard Beard
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication31/10/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrationsstrations (colour)
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.