All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPalladio (1508-80) combined classical restraint with constant inventiveness. In this study, Professor Ackerman sets Palladio in the context of his age - the Humanist era of Michelangelo and Raphael, Titian and Veronese - and examines each of the villas, churches and palaces in turn and tries to penetrate to the heart of the Palladian miracle. Palladio's theoretical writings are important and illuminating, he suggests, yet they never do justice to the intense intuitive skills of a magician of light and colour . Indeed, as the photographs in this book reveal, Palladio was as sensual, as skilled in visual alchemy as any Venetian painter of his time , and his countless imitators have usually captured the details, but t the essence of his style. There are buildings all the way from Philadelphia to Leningrad which bear witness to Palladio's permanent place in the making of architecture , yet he also deserves to be seen on his own terms.
- Author BiographyJames S. Ackerman is Arthur Kingsley Porter Professor of Fine Arts Emeritus at Harvard University and a Fellow and former Trustee of the American Academy in Rome. Professor Ackerman has lived for several years in Italy, beginning with service during the last war, and is the author of many studies on Italian architecture, including The Cortile del Belvedere (1954), and The Architecture of Michelangelo (1961). He has published The Villa: Form and Ideology of Country Houses (1990) and Distance Points. He is co-author of a volume on historical practice and theory, Art and Archaeology (1963) and has also conceived and narrated the films Looking for Renaissance Rome (1975, with Kathleen Weil-Garris Brandt) and Palladio the Architet and His Influence in America (1980). Phyllis Massar is an architectural photographer who lives in New York City.
- Author(s)James S. Ackerman,Phyllis Dearborn Massar
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/07/1991
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight256 g
- Width132 mm
- Height193 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.