All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMichael J. Lippe was diagsed with pancreatic cancer in 2007. This is his story, and the story of pancreatic cancer, narrated by Lippe and Dr. Dung T. Le, the physician who is treating him. In telling these stories, Lippe and Le alternate chapters. Lippe writes about the early signs that something was wrong; Le continues with a description of pancreatic cancer, its symptoms, and its treatments. Lippe talks about his progsis, contemplates the prospect of death, and describes how he began to cope; Le explains the importance, for both doctor and patient, of balancing hope and truth. Lippe speaks frankly about the toll the disease takes on his marriage and family; Le offers a general picture of what most patients can expect with their illness. The book concludes with Lippe and Le's reflections on their partnership in treating cancer, lessons they have learned, and their thoughts about the positive things that sometimes emerge from illness. Pancreatic Cancer offers clear explanations of what the disease is, describes what people with the disease will feel physically and mentally, and discusses current treatments and future directions of research. The authors hope that their honest yet hopeful perspective will help all people with cancer and those who care about them.
- Author BiographyMichael J. Lippe, now retired, had a career in international development. During more than forty years in government and the private sector, he worked extensively on issues of local government, shelter for the poor, and corruption. He was diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer in 2007. Dung T. Le, M.D., is on the medical oncology faculty at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her clinical interests include the care of patients with gastrointestinal malignancies, and her research interests are focused on immunotherapeutic approaches to gastrointestinal malignancies, with a particular emphasis on pancreatic cancer.
- Author(s)Dung T. Le,Michael J. Lippe
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication14/06/2011
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Series TitleA Johns Hopkins Press Health Book
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note6, 6 black & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.