All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor far too long, Lauri Thuren argues, the parables of Jesus have been read either as allegories encoding Christian theology - including the theological message of one or ather Gospel writer - or as tantalizing clues to the authentic voice of Jesus. Thuren proposes instead to read the parables unplugged from any assumption beyond those given in the narrative situation in the text, on the common-sense premise that the very form of the parable works to propose a (sometimes startling) resolution to a particular problem. Thuren applies his method to the parables in Luke with some surprising results involving the Evangelist's overall narrative purposes and the discrete purposes of individual parables in supporting the authority of Jesus, proclaiming God's love, exhorting steadfastness, and so on. Eschatological and allegorical readings are equally unlikely, according to Thuren's results. This study is sure to spark learned discussion among scholars, preachers, and students for years to come.
- Author BiographyLauri Thuren is professor of biblical studies in the School of Theology at the University of Eastern Finland in Joensuu. A rhetorical-critical scholar, he received his Master's, licentiate, and Ph.D. in theology from Abo Akademi University in Finland and has made advanced studies at GTU Berkeley and Uppsala University.
- Author(s)Lauri Thuren
- PublisherFortress Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFortress Press,U.S.
- Weight285 g
- Width156 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.