All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout the history of music there has always been the contrapuntal struggle between convention and invation. In the end, the true invators make their mark and change the structure of music forever. Erik Satie, the great twentieth-century French composer, was just such an invator.Even though he was associated with the avant-garde artistic movements of early twentieth century Paris Cubism, Surrealism, Dadaism, and Neo-Classicism Satie neither aligned himself with any particular group r followed a particular doctrine. Though formally trained, he was a true nconformist, who struck out on his own path to develop a musical structure that reflected his unique personality and eccentricities.This new compilation contains some of Satie's most enduring compositions pia works for four hands, originally published separately in early authoritative editions. Parade, composed in 1916, and created in collaboration with Cocteau, Massine, and Picasso, was hailed as a Cubist manifesto. Stripped of subjective emotion, the work removed basic fragments of melody and simple harmonies from their conventional associations, recasting them in unexpected but logical patterns mirroring the Cubist painters' transformation of everyday items into vel configurations. Also included here are such representative compositions as La belle excentrique, En habit de cheval, Trois morceaux en forme de poire, Trois petites pieces montees, and Apercus desageables. Students and performers of four-hand pia music will be thrilled to have this authoritative edition of Parade and other works by one of the twentieth century's most influential composers.
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication18/06/1999
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight408 g
- Width229 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.