All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the helping professions, codes of ethics and decision-making models have been the primary vehicles for determining what constitutes ethical practice. These strategies are insufficient since they assume that shared meanings exist and that the contradictory universal principles of codes can be reconciled. Also, these tools do t emphasize the significance of context for ethical practice. This book takes a new critical theoretical approach, which involves exploring how social workers construct what is 'ethical' in their work, especially when they are positioned at the intersection of multiple paradoxes, including that of two opposing responsibilities in society: namely, to care for others but also to prevent others from harm. The book is built on narratives from actual front-line workers and therefore is more applicable and grounded for practitioners and students, offering many suggestions for sound practice. It illustrates that an understanding of ethics differs from worker to worker and is heavily influenced by context, workers' values, and what they take up as the primary discourses that frame their perceptions of the profession. While recognizing the oppressive potential of social work, the book is rooted in a perspective that ethical practice can contribute to a more socially just society.
- Author BiographyMerlinda Weinberg is Associate Professor in the School of Social Work at Dalhousie University in Canada. Prior to this she worked for 25 years as a front-line social worker, manager, consultant and practitioner in private practice.
- Author(s)Dr. Merlinda Weinberg
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleContemporary Social Work Studies
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Lucy Jordan,Patrick O'Leary
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.