All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe essays collected in Parallel Encounters offer close analysis of an array of cultural representations of the Canada-US border, in both site-specificity and in the ways in which they reveal and conceal cultural similarities and differences. Contributors focus on a range of regional sites along the border and examine a rich variety of expressive forms, including poetry, fiction, drama, visual art, television, and cinema produced on both sides of the 49th parallel. The field of border studies has hitherto neglected the Canada-US border as a site of cultural interest, tending to examine only its role in transnational policy, ecomic cycles, and legal and political frameworks. Border studies has long been rooted in the US-Mexico divide; shifting the locus of that discussion rth to the 49th parallel, the contributors ask what added complications a site-specific analysis of culture at the Canada-US border can bring to the conversation. In so doing, this collection responds to the demands of Hemispheric American Studies to broaden considerations of the significance of American culture to the Americas as a whole--bringing Canadian Studies into dialogue with the dominantly US-centric critical theory in questions of citizenship, globalization, Indigeus mobilization, hemispheric exchange, and transnationalism.
- Author BiographyGillian Roberts is a lecturer in North American Cultural Studies at the University of Nottingham. She is co-investigator of the Leverhulme Trustafunded Culture and the CanadaaUS Border international research network. She recently completed a monograph on cultural representations of the CanadaaUS border. David Stirrup is a senior lecturer in American literature at the University of Kent. He is the principal investigator of the Leverhulme Trustafunded Culture and the CanadaaUS Border international research network.
- PublisherWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationWaterloo, Ontario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Content Note9 b/w illus
- Weight516 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid Stirrup,Gillian Roberts
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.