All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the pathological killer who gunned down the incents at Virginia Tech to the average citizen who suspects the government is monitoring phone calls, the signs of suspiciousness and paraia are all around us. In this comprehensive overview of an increasingly serious problem, an experienced psychologist and researcher describes what paraia is, how and why it manifests itself, and the many forms it takes, including stalking, pathological jealousy, as a reaction to post-traumatic stress disorder, and perhaps even militia movements. Using striking vignettes from the present and the past, each chapter illustrates specific manifestations of paraia while also describing in layperson s terms the clinical analysis of the condition. Among the topics discussed are the evolutionary origins of our suspiciousness system and factors that can trigger it today, the connection between illicit drug usage and paraid behavior, PTSD, violent expressions of paraia, and options for treating various kinds of paraia. The author emphasizes that life in post-9/11 America is a fertile environment for paraia; in an era of computer hackers, omnipresent security cameras, NSA surveillance, and terrorism, rmal people have good reasons to be suspicious as their sense of security and privacy is undermined. But in such an insecure atmosphere, everyday suspicion can easily be ratcheted up, resulting in paraia and occasionally violent outbursts. He warns of a possible epidemic of paraia and suggests public health measures that could be used to counteract this potentially dangerous trend. Whether you consider yourself susceptible to paraia or kw others who might be, this enlightening book will help you understand the many factors that can distort your mental outlook.
- Author BiographyDavid J. LaPorte, PhD, is a professor of psychology and director of clinical training in the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He is the author or coauthor of seven book chapters and more than twenty professional articles, has testified in court as an expert witness on many occasions, and has done dozens of media interviews on syndicated radio. His research has been the subject of articles appearing in major magazines including Glamour, Jump, and Allure as well as Today.com.
- Author(s)David J. Laporte,Willian T. Carpenter
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication18/09/2015
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.