All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from Passages From the Diary of a Late Physician, 1844, Vol. 2 In the summer of 18 -, London was visited by one of the most tremendous thunder-storms that have been kwn in this climate. Its character and effects - some of which latter form the subject of this chapter - will make me remember it to the latest hour of my life. There was something portentous - a still, surcharged air - about the whole of Tuesday the 10th of July, 18 -, as though nature were trembling and cowering beneath a common shock. In the exquisite language of one of our old dramatists, there seemed - A calmBefore a tempest, when the gentle airLays her soft ear close to the earth, to listenFor that she fears steals on to ravish her. From about eleven o'clock at on the sky wore a lurid threatening aspect that shot awe into the beholder; suggesting to startled This is a narrative - for obvious reasons somewhat varied in circumstances - of a lamentable occurrence in the author's family. About fourteen years ago, a very beautiful girl, eighteen years old, terrified at a violent thunder-storm, rushed into a cellar to escape, as she thought, from the danger, and was found there in the state described in the text. She died four days afterwards. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Samuel Warren
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight685 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.