Passing Through: Recovery from Diabetes and Food Addiction by Carl Eugene Moore (Paperback / softback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.54Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI was approaching my 37th birthday, and slowly killing myself. I weighed almost 400lbs and was a Bad Diabetic, as my elderly mother declares, as if there were any other kind. When I was diagsed in 1988, Diabetes education was all but absent from medicine and Diabetes was t the national epidemic it is today. I did little to address the disease and eventually was taking more than the maximum doses of oral anti-diabetic medication and insulin injections, and my blood sugar levels were still abysmal. I was suffering from the effects of uncontrolled Diabetes. After a revelation in 2003, I changed my lifestyle. Through common sense weight loss and the pursuit of fitness, I t only beat the disease, I changed my life in unexpected ways. After walking off more than 125 pounds, I was able to discontinue all the medications. My blood sugar levels became perfectly rmal, better than rmal. The success I achieved is typical of the majority of overweight Type 2 Diabetics who make similar changes in their lives. Education has become a passion for me, and I want to inspire every overweight Type 2 Diabetic to change their lives. I want them to understand there is hope, there is a way to manage their weight and Diabetes, there is a way to avoid the long term suffering of retipathy, blindness, neuropathy, amputation, heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, and slow death due to systemic organ failure. Carl's honest account of his weight loss journey is phemenal. He literally saves his own life by changing what he eats. His nutritional advice includes proven methods for weight loss along with practical ideas for planning healthy meals and snacks. He shows that dramatic improvements in health are possible with better nutrition and increased physical activity. Inspiring and motivating! -- Amy Pope, MS, RD, LD, CDE Passing Through, Carl Moore's memoir of his struggle with and on-going triumph over diabetes, is vivid and compelling and painfully honest. With the narrative energy of a page-turner, here is a story that left this reader much more informed about t only the disease itself, but also dieting strategies that work and those that don't. I gasped, I cried, I laughed out loud. I could t stop turning the pages of this beautifully written book. -- Cathy Smith Bowers, Poet Laureate of North Carolina Carl's is a poignant story of his personal struggle with the demons in his life. His story from diagsis of Type 2 diabetes and subsequent love affair with food as an addiction is a lifelong journey. Food quieted the inner voice of t okay. The internal respect he gains from achieving professional successes plus love from family/friends leads him to accepting responsibility for his health management. Re-learning health habits of many years - for example t eating a bag of orange cocaine, or Cheetos, in his hourly commute from a city an hour away - was t easy. Patience with oneself as small strides are made toward reducing weight through physical activity and portion control is a reminder that it takes years to put it on and years to lose it. Carl has been an inspiration to my patients and me. -- Elizabeth Todd Heckel, MSW, CDE - Lived with Type 1 diabetes for over 44 years. Camp mother and w grandmother to the Carolina's largest overnight camp for children with diabetes, Camp Adam Fisher Everyone is touched by Diabetes in some way and everyone is affected by the growing drains on our national health care system. Passing Through is about fighting a disease - Diabetes - an ongoing, daily battle fought with a fork and walking shoes. This is a story about losing weight -- and the advice will work for anyone - but this is t a typical how-to weight loss book. The wisdom of Diet & Exercise holds true even in our Starbucks and McDonalds society. For the swelling ranks of Type 2 Diabetics, this is a battle that can be won. Passing Through is a message of truth and hope from someone who has lived it.
- Author BiographyCarl Eugene Moore holds an MBA in Accounting & Finance, an MBA in Health Care Management, an MFA in Creative Writing, and is currently doing his doctoral work in Health Administration with a focus on Informatics and Health Care Quality. He has poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and photography published and is currently the nonfiction editor at Referential Magazine and a feature editor for an academic journal. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in Health and Medical Informatics and English.
- Author(s)Carl Eugene Moore
- PublisherD C F X Publishing
- Date of Publication01/03/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintD C F X Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.