All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the fictional portrayal of Dr. Gregory House to Jerome Groopman's bestseller How Doctors Think , both medical professionals and the general public recognize that there is more to the doctor's job than technical practice. Yet, why do so many patients come away from their doctors' offices feeling dissatisfied with their interactions? In this welcome addition to the growing field of narrative medicine, physician Loreen Herwaldt uses the illness narratives of two dozen writer-patients to teach listening skills to medical students, residents, physicians, and other health care providers.Herwaldt skillfully pares each narrative down to its most basic elements, rendering them into powerful found poems that she has used successfully in her role as a teacher and in her own practice. Drawing from narratives by writers who are both emerging and well kwn, including Oliver Sacks, Richard Selzer, and Mary Swander, each poem reveals the experience of illness and treatment from the patient's perspective. Patient Listening includes a detailed general introduction and a how-to guide that will prove invaluable in the classroom and in clinical practice.This book will inspire thoughtfulness in everyone who reads it. It is also designed to foster discussions about all aspects of the patient experience from ethics to stigmatization to health insurance. Patient Listening is t just about bedside manner but also about how health care providers can gain the most from their interactions with patients and in turn offer more appropriate treatments, develop more cooperative and responsive relationships with their patients, and thus become better doctors.
- Author BiographyLoreen Herwaldt is a physician in Iowa City, where she holds appointments in the Departments of Internal Medicine and Epidemiology at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2008
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Weight231 g
- Width146 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byLoreen A. Herwaldt
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.