All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany exciting frontiers of science and engineering require understanding the spatiotemporal properties of sustained nequilibrium systems such as fluids, plasmas, reacting and diffusing chemicals, crystals solidifying from a melt, heart muscle, and networks of excitable neurons in brains. This introductory textbook for graduate students in biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, and physics provides a systematic account of the basic science common to these diverse areas. This book provides a careful pedagogical motivation of key concepts, discusses why diverse nequilibrium systems often show similar patterns and dynamics, and gives a balanced discussion of the role of experiments, simulation, and analytics. It contains numerous worked examples and over 150 exercises. This book will also interest scientists who want to learn about the experiments, simulations, and theory that explain how complex patterns form in sustained nequilibrium systems.
- Author BiographyMichael Cross is a Professor of Theoretical Physics at the California Institute of Technology, USA. His research interests are in nonequilibrium and nonlinear physics including pattern formation, chaos theory, nanomechanical systems, and condensed matter physics, particularly the theory of liquid and solid helium. Henry Greenside is a Professor in the Department of Physics at Duke University, USA. He has carried out research in condensed matter physics, plasma physics, nonequilibrium pattern formation, and theoretical neurobiology. He is also involved with outreach programs to stimulate interest in science and physics at junior high school and high school levels.
- Author(s)Henry Greenside,Michael C. Cross
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/07/2009
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note54 b/w illus. 154 exercises
- Weight1070 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.