All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEncouraging a broad-based understanding of continuity, change, and invation in human history, Patterns of World History presents the global past in a comprehensive, even-handed, and open-ended fashionPatterns of World History offers a distinct framework for understanding the global past through the study of origins, interactions, and adaptations. Authors Peter von Sivers, Charles A. Desyers, and George Stow--each specialists in their respective fields--examine the full range of human ingenuity over time and space in a comprehensive, even-handed, and critical fashion. The book helps students to see and understand patterns through: ORIGINS - INTERACTIONS - ADAPTATIONS These key features show the O-I-A framework in action: * Seeing Patterns, a list of key questions at the beginning of each chapter, focuses students on the 3-5 over-arching patterns, which are revisited, considered, and synthesized at the end of the chapter in Thinking Through Patterns * Each chapter includes a Patterns Up Close case study that brings into sharp relief the O-I-A pattern using a specific idea or thing that has developed in human history (and helped, in turn, develop human history), like the invation of the Chinese writing system or religious syncretism in India. Each case study clearly shows how an invation originated either in one geographical center or independently in several different centers. It demonstrates how, as people in the centers interacted with their neighbors, the neighbors adapted to--and in many cases were transformed by--the idea, object, or event. Adaptations include the entire spectrum of human responses, ranging from outright rejection to creative borrowing and, at times, forced acceptance.
- Author BiographyPeter von Sivers is Associate Professor of History at the University of Utah. Charles A. Desnoyers is Professor of History and Director of Asian Studies at La Salle University. George B. Stow is Professor of History and the Director of the Graduate Program in History at La Salle University.
- Author(s)Charles A Desnoyers,George B Stow,Peter Von Sivers
- PublisherOxford University Press, USA
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press, USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1297 g
- Width188 mm
- Height249 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.