All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionPatterns of the Past has been published to commemorate the one hundredth annivarsary of the founding of the Ontario Historical Society. Organized on 4 Sept 1888 as the Pioneer Association of Ontario, the Society adopted its current name in 1898. Its objectives, for a century, have been to promote and develop the study of Ontario's past. The purpose of this book is both to commemorate and to carry on that wrothy tradition. Introduced by Ian Wilson, Archivist of Ontario, and edited by Roger Hall, William Westfall and Laurel Sefton MacDowell, this distinctive volume is a landmark t only in the Society's history but in the prince's historiography. Eighteen scholars have pooled their talents to fashion a volume of fresh interpretive essays that chronicle and analyze the whole scope of Ontario's rich and varied past. New light is thrown on our understanding of early native peoples, rural life in Upper Canada, the opening of the North, the impact of railways, and the growth of businesses and institutions. And there is much social study here too, especially of the new roles for women in industrial society, of working class experience, of ethnic groupos, and of children in our society's past. As well, there are invative treatments of the conservation movement, of science's role in provincial society, and of the relationship between society and culture in small towns. Anyone with an interest in the history of Canada's most populous province will find much in this coprehensive collection.
- Author BiographyRoger Hall is a member of the Department of History at the University of Western Ontario. William Westfall is Chair, Department of History, Atkinson College, York University. Laurel Sefton MacDowell is in the Department of History, Erindale College, University of toronto. Hall and Westfall are former Editors of Ontario History, the quarterly journal of the Ontario Historical Society; MacDowell is the current Editor.
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication25/07/1996
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight542 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byLaurel Sefton MacDowell,Roger Hall,William Westfall
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.