All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaul Bern was second only to Irving Thalberg at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in the 1930s. Kwn throughout the movies as 'Hollywood's Father Confessor', Bern had earned a reputation for being a loyal and supportive friend and for becoming one of MGM's most respected and creative directors. In short, it was nearly impossible to find anyone who would say anything negative about Paul Bern. Until he died. Then he would be accused of becoming so depressed and despondent over his own impotence that he had choice but to commit suicide, and he would be deunced for attempting to rape his new bride, Jean Harlow, and of beating her bloody with a cane on their wedding night just two months earlier.But MGM publicity people and studio police knew how Paul Bern really died. They knew a long-ago common-law wife had recently emerged from the fog of mental illness believing she was still married to Paul, and they knew she had visited him the night before he was found dead. They knew she had killed him, but they also knew that publicly revealing Bern's first marriage would mark his current marriage - a marriage to MGM's w fastest rising star - as bigamous. So, they staged a suicide and embarked on a very public tarnishing of Bern's memory and legacy, leaving the world to believe he was impotent and suicide-obsessed and killed himself out of frustration with his marriage to a sex symbol. This biography rights that wrong by uncovering startling facts about Bern and MGM's tarnishing of his memory. It features almost 100 rare photos, many never before seen, along with three appendices examining the handwriting on the alleged suicide te and Bern's will and estate.
- Author BiographyE.J. Fleming is the author of numerous books about the performing arts and Hollywood pop culture, including most recently a biography of Wallace Reid. He lives in Barrington, Illinois.
- Author(s)E. J. Fleming
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/02/2009
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Noteca. 100 photos, notes, bibliography, filmography, index
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.