All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaul Gilroy has been a controversial force at the forefront of debates around race, nation, and diaspora. Working across a broad range of disciplines, Gilroy has argued that racial identities are historically constructed, formed by colonization, slavery, nationalist philosophies, and consumer capitalism. Paul Williams introduces Gilroy's key themes and ideas, including: * the essential concepts, including ethnic absolutism, civilizationism, postcolonial melancholia, iconization, and the 'black Atlantic' * analysis of Gilroy's broad-ranging cultural references, from Edmund Burke to hip-hop * a comprehensive overview of Gilroy's influences and the academic debates his work has inspired. Emphasizing the timeliness and global relevance of Gilroy's ideas, this guide will appeal to anyone approaching Gilroy's work for the first time or seeking to further their understanding of race and contemporary culture.
- Author BiographyDr Paul Williams is Lecturer in Twentieth-Century Literature at the University of Exeter, UK.
- Author(s)Paul Williams
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/12/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleRoutledge Critical Thinkers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.