All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume examines 1 Corinthians 1-4 within first-century politics, demonstrating the significance of Corinth's constitution to the interpretation of Paul's letter. Bradley J. Bitner shows that Paul carefully considered the Roman colonial context of Corinth, which underlay numerous ecclesial conflicts. Roman politics, however, cant account for the entire shape of Paul's response. Bridging the Hellenism-Judaism divide that has characterised much of Pauline scholarship, Bitner argues that Paul also appropriated Jewish-biblical tions of covenant. Epigraphical and papyrological evidence indicates that his chosen content and manner are best understood with reference to an ecclesial politeia informed by a distinctively Christ-centred political theology. This emerges as a 'politics of thanksgiving' in 1 Corinthians 1:4-9 and as a 'politics of construction' in 3:5-4:5, where Paul redirects gratitude and glory to God in Christ. This invative account of Paul's political theology offers fresh insight into his pastoral strategy among nascent Gentile-Jewish assemblies.
- Author BiographyBradley J. Bitner is Tutor in New Testament and Greek at Oak Hill Theological College in London. He is the co-editor, with James R. Harrison, of New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity, Volume 11 (forthcoming).
- Author(s)Bradley J. Bitner
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/06/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleSociety for New Testament Studies Monograph Series
- Series Part/Volume Number163
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 b/w illus. 1 map 2 tables
- Weight570 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.