Pauper Ancestors: A Guide to the Records Created by the Poor Laws in England and Wales by David T. Hawkings (Hardback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $10.34+ AU $6.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the sixteenth century onwards many laws were enacted to provide support for the poor and needy, and some parishes established poor houses in which to look after their homeless. In 1834, with the creation of the Poor Law Commission, the whole of England and Wales was formed into Unions of parishes, and each Union built its own workhouse. The workhouses gained a reputation for cruelty in the eyes of the public, yet this system of social security was t abolished until the creation of the NHS in 1948. Being part of the government bureaucracy, detailed records were kept of everything: rate-payers, collectors of rates, workhouse overseers and the staff and inmates of workhouses, as well as poor people who were helped to move to the rth of England to work in industry, those given assisted passage to Australia and children sent to Canada. David T. Hawkings, one of Britain's leading genealogists and the author of Criminal Ancestors and Railway Ancestors , here explains how these records can be used to discover details of your ancestry, providing an important, must-have resource for genealogists and family historians who want to make use of this comprehensive repository of information.
- Author BiographyDavid T. Hawkingshas spent more than40 years researching his own family history. He created the television series Find Your Family, worked on the BBC's Who Do You Think You Are?, is a Fellow of the Society of Genealogists, and was founder chairman of the West Middlesex Family History Society. He is the author of Railway Ancestors and Criminal Ancestors.
- Author(s)David T. Hawkings
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2011
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1490 g
- Width160 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine40 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.81Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.