Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionJudith M. Heimann entered the diplomatic life in 1958 to join her husband, John, in Jakarta, Indonesia, at his American Embassy post. This, her first time out of the United States, would set her on a path across the continents as she mastered the fine points of diplomatic culture. She did so first as a spouse, then as a diplomat herself, thus becoming part of one of the Foreign Service's first tandem couples. Heimann's lively recollections of her life in Africa, Asia, and Europe show us that when it comes to reconciling our government's requirements with the other government's wants, shuttle diplomacy, Skype, and email cant match on-the-ground interaction. The ability to gauge and finesse gesture, tone of voice, and unspoken assumptions became her stock-in-trade as she navigated, time and again, remarkably delicate situations. This insightful and witty memoir gives us a behind-the-scenes look at a rarely explored experience: that of one of the very first married female diplomats, who played an unsung but significant role in some of the important international events of the past fifty years. To those who kw something of today's world of diplomacy, Paying Calls in Shangri-La will be an enlightening tour through the way it used to be-and for aspiring Foreign Service officers and students, it will be an inspiration.
- Author BiographyJudith M. Heimann has spent most of her life involved with American diplomacy. She has written widely on Southeast Asia and the Pacific. She is the author of The Most Offending Soul Alive and The Airmen and the Headhunters, and coauthor of the award-winning PBS documentary based on the latter.
- Author(s)Judith M. Heimann
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.