All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf the funding of parties and campaigns is a crucial issue for democratic theory and practice, then the spread of State subsidies for parties is, arguably, the most important trend in contemporary political finance. Using a large data set on political financing in more than 40 democracies, the book offers an unprecedented comparative study of the features of party subsidies and their effects on campaign finance practices, party systems and party organisations. The book also provides a detailed empirical account of campaign finance in two of Latin America's most consolidated democracies. Drawing upon extensive archival work and interviews, this work sheds light on largely hidden aspects of politics in the developing world and questions widespread beliefs about political finance, such as the rapid increase of campaign costs and the crucial role of television in this trend.
- Author BiographyDr. Casas-Zamora is Associate Professor of State Theory at the University of Costa Rica and international consultant on political finance issues. He currently coordinates the United Nations Development Program's National Human Development Report for Costa Rica. He holds a law degree from the University of Costa Rica, an M.A. in Latin American Government and Politics from Essex University and a D.Phil. in Politics from St. Antony's College, Oxford University. His doctoral dissertation at Oxford won the European Consortium for Political Research PhD Thesis Prize in 2004. He has written extensively on political finance, elections, democratization and civil-military relations in Latin America
- Author(s)Kevin Casas-Zamora
- PublisherECPR Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleECPR Monographs
- Place of PublicationColchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintECPR Press
- Content Note67ill.
- Weight490 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5957 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.