All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.50
About this product
- DescriptionThe second volume in the South Asian Peace Studies series, Peace Processes and Peace Accords looks at the political question of peace from three perspectives: the process of peace; the contentious issues involved in the peace process; and the ideologies that come in conflict in this process. Arguing that peace is t a one-time event to be achieved and rejoiced over but a matter to be sustained against various odds, the contributors show that the sustainability of peace depends on a foundation of rights, justice and democracy. Peace accords, they maintain, are only a moment in the process-the very act of signing an accord could mark either a continuation of the same conflict, or simply its metamorphosis. Therefore, as this volume shows, 'negotiation' should be redefined as 'joint problem-solving' on a long-term sustained basis, rather than 'one-off hard bargaining'.
- Author BiographyProf. Samir Kumar DAS is presently the Vice-Chancellor of the University of North Bengal. A Professor of Political Science at the University of Calcutta, Kolkata (now on lien) he is a member and an Honorary Senior Researcher of the Calcutta Research Group (CRG). Besides being the Coordinator of the UGC-DRS Programme on 'Democratic Governance: Comparative Perspectives', he was a Post-Doctoral Fellow (2005) of the Social Science Research Council (South Asia Program) based in New York. He specializes in and writes on ethnicity, security, migration, rights, justice and democracy and lectured widely in premier academic institutions in the USA, Finland, France, Italy, Sweden, Belgium and many other countries on various assignments.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication04/10/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleSouth Asian Peace Studies Series
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 2
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight676 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited bySamir Kumar Das
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.