All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Peace in World History, Peter N. Stearns examines the ideas of peace that have existed throughout history, and how societies have sought to put them into practice. Beginning with the status of peace in early hunter-gatherer and agricultural societies, and continuing through the present day, the narrative gives students a clear view of the ways people across the world have understood and striven to achieve peace throughout history. Topics covered include: * Comparison of the 'pax Romana' and 'pax Sinica' of Rome and China * Concepts of peace in Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam, and their historical impact * The place of peace in the periods of expanding empires * The emergence, starting in the 19th century, of formal schemes to promote peace amid increasingly destructive techlogies for warfare Moving away from the view of history as a series of military conflicts, Peace in World History offers a new way of looking at world history by focusing on peace. Showing how concepts of peace have evolved over time even as they have been challenged by war and conflict, this lively and engaging narrative enables students to consider peace as a human possibility.
- Author BiographyPeter N. Stearns is Provost and a professor of history at George Mason University.
- Author(s)Peter N. Stearns
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/03/2014
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThemes in World History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.