All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSario lives with his family on a remote Torres Strait island, which he never wants to leave - but the winds of change are stirring. The year is 1899 and the pearl-shell trade is at its height. When his father is coerced to join a white trader on his pearling lugger, thirteen-year-old Sario must go to work as a swimming diver to support the family. He can earn more as a pump diver, and is excited by the idea of walking on the sea floor, but the competition is fierce, and the only captain who will take him on runs the worst outfit in the fleet. With the constant danger of shark attack and the storm of the century approaching, can Sario provide for his family and realise his dream?
- Author BiographyKay began her writing career with feature articles for newspapers and lifestyle magazines before moving into writing educational material for children. Her works include fiction and non-fiction books, short comprehension texts and school magazine articles and stories. Many of her books feature animals and the environment. She feels lucky to have patted a tiger, ridden an elephant in the jungle, played games with gibbons and been close to a lynx, a wolf, and bears in the wild, but says the komodo dragon is the most intriguing animal she has writtten about. Kay grew up in Sydney and moved with her husband and children to remote areas of Tasmania and Western Australia before settling in far north Queensland, where two spectacular environments meet - the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef.
- Author(s)Kay Crabbe
- PublisherMurdoch Books
- Date of Publication02/06/2016
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationMillers Point
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintMurdoch Books
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.