All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionPearls on a String presents the arts of historical Islamic cultures by focusing on specific people and relationships among cultural tastemakers, especially painters, calligraphers, poets, and their patrons. Through a series of chapters, the book spotlights certain historical moments from across the Islamic world. Each chapter pivots around patrons and their social networks. These independent sections allow different voices and perspectives to emerge, enabling the reader to see that Islamic societies are t molithic but made up of a tapestry of individuals with distinct and varying views. Pearls on a String pays particular attention to individuals from different sectors of society, giving voice to anymous artists and translators, merchants, and women of the harem. Islamic historical sources reinforce the books themes of writing in Islamic societies, artistic patronage, biographical traditions, and human connectivity.
- Author BiographyAmy Landau is associate curator of Islamic and South Asian Art at the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. Contributors: Paul Losensky, Sussan Babaie, Avinoam Shalem, Glaire Anderson, Mariam Rosser-Owen, Persis Berlekamp, Vivienne Lo, Wang Yidan, Willem Flinterman, Jo Van Steenbergen, David Roxburgh, Qamar Adamjee, Audrey Truschke, Bora Keskiner, Unver Rustem, and Tim Stanley
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication11/09/2015
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note100 color illus.
- Weight1724 g
- Width6147 mm
- Height7112 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAmy Landau
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.