Peasants Under Siege: The Collectivization of Romanian Agriculture, 1949-1962 by Gail Kligman, Katherine Verdery (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $59.63Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $80.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1949, Romania's fledgling communist regime unleashed a radical and brutal campaign to collectivize agriculture in this largely agrarian country, following the Soviet model. Peasants under Siege provides the first comprehensive look at the far-reaching social engineering process that ensued. Gail Kligman and Katherine Verdery examine how collectivization assaulted the very foundations of rural life, transforming village communities that were organized around kinship and status hierarchies into segments of large bureaucratic organizations, forged by the language of class warfare yet saturated with vindictive personal struggles. Collectivization t only overturned property relations, the authors argue, but was crucial in creating the Party-state that emerged, its mechanisms of rule, and the new persons that were its subjects. The book explores how ill-prepared cadres, themselves unconvinced of collectivization's promises, implemented techlogies and pedagogies imported from the Soviet Union through actions that contributed to the excessive use of force, which Party leaders were often unable to control. In addition, the authors show how local responses to the Party's initiatives compelled the regime to modify its plans and negotiate outcomes. Drawing on archival documents, oral histories, and ethgraphic data, Peasants under Siege sheds new light on collectivization in the Soviet era and on the complex tensions underlying and constraining political authority.
- Author BiographyGail Kligman is professor of sociology and director of the Center for European and Eurasian Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Katherine Verdery is the Julien J. Studley Faculty Scholar and Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at the City University of New York Graduate Center.
- PrizesWinner of Society for Romanian Studies Book Prize 2013 and Association of Women in Slavic Studies: Heldt Prize 2012. Commended for Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize 2012 and American Sociological Association Comparative & Historical Sociology Section Barrington Moore Award 2012 and American Sociological Association - Political Sociology: Distinguished Contribution to Scholarship 2012. Shortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2012.
- Author(s)Gail Kligman,Katherine Verdery
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication25/07/2011
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note24 halftones. 2 line illus. 9 tables. 1 map.
- Weight485 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.26New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.75New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.87
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $60.98Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.