All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPedagogies of Kindness and Respect presents a wide variety of concepts from scholars and practitioners who discuss pedagogies of kindness, an alternative to the excuses ideology w dominating the way that children are raised and educated in the U.S. today. The fields of education, and especially early childhood education, include some histories and perspectives that treat those who are younger with kindness and respect. This book demonstrates an informed awareness of this history and the ways that old and new ideas can counter current conditions that are harmful to both those who are younger and those who are older, while avoiding the reconstitution of the romantic, incent child who needs to be saved by more advanced adults. Two interpretations of the upbringing of children are investigated and challenged, one suggesting that the poor do t kw how to raise their children and thus need help, while the other looks at those who are privileged and therefore kw how to nurture their young. These opposing views have been discussed and problematized for more than thirty years. Pedagogies of Kindness and Respect investigates the issue of why this circumstance has continued and even worsened today.
- Author BiographyP. L. Thomas is an associate professor of education at Furman University. The National Council of Teachers of English recognized his blogging with the 2013 George Orwell Award, and he is currently a column editor for English Journal. Follow his work on Twitter (@plthomasEdD) and at The Becoming Radical (http://radicalscholarship.wordpress.com/).
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication28/06/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight470 g
- Width147 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byBrad J. Porfilio,Julie A. Gorlewski,P. L. Thomas,Paul R. Carr
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.