All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe Pedagogy Primer raises questions and provides explanations that are central to the study and practice of teaching. Most educational research and policy, and even teaching practice, fails to recognize the complexities of pedagogy. This primer unearths the various histories, structures, and narratives that undergird teaching in U.S. schools. Modern teaching practice is revealed to be an uncritical historical layering of irreconcilable worldviews, intermixed with a craft or guild perspective, and undermined by cultural and political ideologies that promote one perspective at the expense of others. Understanding pedagogy requires sorting out these conflicting worldviews embedded in educational policy, research, and practice. Professionalism requires developing a personal schema for balancing the values of each worldview. This primer investigates the socio-cultural context and aims of teaching, pedagogical content kwledge, uses of disciplinary kwledge, and the epistemology and language of teaching. Aimed at new as well as experienced teachers, and invative researchers and policymakers, the Pedagogy Primer is essential reading for those who study teaching and learning and those who engage in the profession of teaching.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Philip M. Anderson has taught students from eighth grade through graduate school. He is Professor of Secondary Education at Queens College and Professor of Urban Education at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. He earned a Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and has been a faculty member at Brown and Ohio Universities. He has published extensively on curriculum and cultural theory, language and reading, and teaching the arts and humanities in schools.
- Author(s)Philip M. Anderson
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitlePeter Lang Primer
- Series Part/Volume Number25
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2008
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight380 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.