All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBasil Bernstein began to develop his theory of social structure and power relations during the 1950s and 1960s. Early in the 1960s he met M. A. K. Halliday and Ruqaiya Hasan, who were developing the first formulations of what would become kwn as systemic functional (SF) linguistic theory. A far-reaching dialogue began. Bernstein recognized the significant role that language plays in the construction of social experience and social inequality. Halliday and Hasan were actively seeking a theory of language that would explain the nature of the social. In different ways, they ackwledged the powerful role of language in the social construction of experience. Their resulting enquiries brought both theories and scholars into dialogue. Contributors to this volume (including Hasan and Bernstein) continue this dialogue in a range of papers that draw on both SF linguistic theory (with special reference to genre) and Bernstein's sociological theory, particularly with reference to his later work on pedagogic device and pedagogic discourse. Several authors describe the influence of these theories on classroom practice, including English and mathematics, and literacy teaching in indigeus schools. Pedagogy and the Shaping of consciousness is an important contribution to the explication of the two theories, the dialogue which they continue to provoke, and their contribution to the provision of more equal access to education.
- Author BiographyFrances Christie is Emeritus Professor of Language and Literacy Education at the University of Melbourne, Australiaand Honorary Professor at the University of Sydney, Australia.
- Author(s)Frances Christie
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/03/2005
- Series TitleContinuum Collection Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.