All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCrimilogical research has largely neglected the possibility that positive peer influence is a potentially powerful source of social control. Quantitative methods tease out cause, effect, and spuriousness in the relationship between peer delinquency and personal delinquency, but these methods do little or thing to reveal how and why peers might influence each other toward--or away from--deviance. Costello and Hope take a first step toward uncovering the mechanisms of peer influence, drawing on quantitative and qualitative data collected from two convenience samples of university students. Their quantitative analyses showed that positive peer influence occurs most frequently among those who associate with the most deviant peers and self-report the most deviance, contrary to predictions drawn from social learning theories. Their qualitative data revealed a variety of methods of negative influence, including encouraging deviant behavior for others' amusement, a motive for peer influence never before reported in the literature.
- Author BiographyBarbara J. Costello (Ph.D., University of Arizona) is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Rhode Island. Her research has focused on testing and extending control theories of crime and delinquency, and on the explanation of both positive and negative peer influence. Trina L. Hope (Ph.D., University of Arizona) is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Oklahoma. Her research has focused primary on criminological theory-testing, including applying concepts from control theories to gang membership, gang and dating violence, adolescent sexual activity, pregnancy resolution, and substance use.
- Author(s)Barbara J. Costello,Trina L. Hope
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication17/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 7 black & white tables, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight249 g
- Width187 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.