Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $106.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $32.44+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis first book-length study to focus on Peggy Glanville-Hicks, the important twentieth-century composer and critic who was born in Australia in 1912 and who established her reputation in the U.S. in the late 1940s and 1950s, documents the composer's music, performances, and critical writings, as well as the work of previous biographers, bibliographers, and interviewers. This volume, the most recent in Greenwood's respected series of research tools in the field of music, contains a comprehensive biography of the composer that draws on the writings and recollections of many of the composer's close friends and colleagues. Deborah Hayes' compilation of the great amount of material about Glanville-Hicks and her music found in journals, books, newspapers, dictionaries, and encyclopedias of music also contains alphabetical, chrological, and by-genre lists of works with details of first performances and other significant performances, a discography, and an antated bibliography that includes abstracts and quotations from performance reviews. Bibliographic entries are keyed to lists of works, recordings, and performances. The work is indexed as well. The work is divided into six cross-referenced chapters beginning with a biography that gives a chrological account of the composer's life and examines recurring themes in her work. The second chapter lists 70 compositions in chrological order by year of composition, from 1931 to 1989, and includes information on publisher, duration, instrumentation, and commission. Premieres and other selected performances are indicated and references are given to recordings and to bibliographical items. A publishers directory, an alphabetical list of works, and a classified list complete the chapter which is followed by a discography of Glanville-Hicks' commercial recordings, both in and out of print. Chapter four's antated listing of the composer's writings in chrological order from 1945 to 1989 documents the scope of her interests and provides a record of this period in American musical history in the words of a perceptive, articulate listener and active participant. Alphabetized by author and title, music reviews, performance reviews, feature articles, publicity items, and press anuncements are listed with antations in Chapter five. Items from all previous Glanville-Hicks bibliographies and from library clipping files and indexes are included matter how brief the reference. A final chapter devoted to archival resources lists materials by library in alphabetical order by country and name. This informative and easy-to-use volume will be a necessary addition to the reference collections of college and university music libraries and would be useful for courses in Twentieth-Century Music, Opera, Art Song, Music of the U.S., American Studies, and Women's Studies.
- Author BiographyDEBORAH HAYES is Associate Professor of Music History at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She is the author of annotated translations of Rameau's Harmonic Generation and Dissertation on the Different Methods of Accompaniment. Among her many journal articles are: Neglected Women Composers of the Eighteenth Century and Their Music and Rameau's Nouvelle Methode.
- Author(s)Deborah Hayes
- Date of Publication11/05/1990
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleBio-Bibliographies in Music
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight584 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.