All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharles S. Peirce, the founder of pragmatism, was also the architect of a remarkable theory of signs that continues to puzzle and inspire philosophers today. In this important new book, Mats Bergman articulates a bold new approach to Peirces semeiotic through a reassessment of the role of rhetoric in his work. This systematic approach, which is offered as an alternative to formalistic accounts of Peirces project, shows how general sign-theoretical conceptions can plausibly be interpreted as abstractions from everyday communicative experiences and practices. Building on this fallible ground of rhetoric-in-use, Bergman explicates Peirces semeiotic in a way that is conducive to the development of torical inquiry and philosophical criticism. Following this path, the underpinnings of a uniquely Peircean philosophy of communication is unearthed a pragmatic conception encased in a rmative rhetoric, motivated by the continual need to transform and improve our habits of action.
- Author BiographyMats Bergman is Principal Lecturer in Media Culture at Arcada University of Applied Sciences and Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Philosophy at the University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Author(s)Mats Bergman
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/06/2009
- Series TitleContinuum Studies in American Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight468 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.12New
- AU $18.72New
- AU $10.89Used
- AU $24.74New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.54New
- AU $6.44Used
- AU $19.88New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.70New
- AU $11.50Used
- AU $23.89New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.87Trending at AU $21.12
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.87
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.75
- AU $16.77Trending at AU $18.72
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $77.71
- AU $78.96Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.