Pennsylvania Dutch: The Story of an American Language by Mark L. Louden (Hardback, 2016)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile most world languages spoken by mirity populations are in serious danger of becoming extinct, Pennsylvania Dutch is thriving. In fact, the number of Pennsylvania Dutch speakers is growing exponentially, although it is spoken by less than one-tenth of one percent of the United States population and has remained for the most part an oral vernacular without official recognition or support. A true sociolinguistic wonder, Pennsylvania Dutch has been spoken continuously since the late eighteenth century, even though it has never been refreshed by later waves of immigration from abroad. In this probing study, Mark L Louden, himself a fluent speaker of Pennsylvania Dutch, provides readers with a close look at the place of the language in the life and culture of two major subgroups of speakers: the Fancy Dutch, whose ancestors were affiliated mainly with Lutheran and German Reformed churches, and conservative Anabaptist sectarians kwn as the Plain people - the Old Order Amish and Mennites. Drawing on scholarly literature, three decades of fieldwork, and ample historical documents - most of which have never before been made accessible to English-speaking readers - this is the first book to offer a comprehensive look at this unlikely linguistic success story.
- Author BiographyMark L. Louden is a professor of Germanic linguistics and codirector of the Max Kade Institute for German-American Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Author(s)Mark L. Louden
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication11/03/2016
- Series TitleYoung Center Books in Anabaptist and Pietist Studies
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note32, 13 black & white halftones, 17 black & white line drawings, 2 maps
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.