Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionThis ermous neo-Norman castle sits between Swdonia and the Menai Strait. Built by Thomas Hopper between 1820 and 1845 for the wealthy Pennant family, who made their fortune from Jamaican sugar and Welsh slate, the castle is crammed with fascinating things such as a one-ton slate bed made for Queen Victoria. Hopper also designed the castle's interior with elaborate carvings, plasterwork and mock-Norman furniture. The castle contains an outstanding collection of paintings. The Victorian kitchen and other servants' rooms, including scullery, larders and chef's sitting room, have been restored to reveal the preparations for the banquet for the Prince of Wales' visit in 1894.
- Author(s)Jonathan Marsden,National Trust
- PublisherNational Trust
- Date of Publication01/01/2008
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationSwindon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Trust
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), facsims., geneal. table, plans, ports.
- Weight240 g
- Width180 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.