All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn insight into South Africa at the beginning of the apartheid era through Bryan Heseltine's previously unpublished photos of the early 1950s. These show a respect for their subjects and their urban environment that ran counter to the ideology of apartheid, and his work is full of historical, social and political implications.
- Author BiographyDarren Newbury is Professor of Photography at Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University. He has published widely on photography, photographic education and visual research. He is the author of Defiant Images: Photography and Apartheid South Africa (published by University of South Africa Press, 2009). He is also editor of the international journal Visual Studies. Vivian Bickford-Smith is Professor of Historical Studies at the University of Cape Town and visiting Professor of Comparative Metropolitan History at the Institute of Historical Studies, London University. He has published extensively on the area of 19th and 20th Century South African history, particularly within the areas of race, ethnicity and nationalism and urban history. Sean Field is Director of the Centre for Popular Memory at the University of Cape Town. He was a founder member of the Oral History Association of South Africa and is author of Oral History, Community and Displacement: Imagining Memories in Post-apartheid Cape Town (published by Palgrave Macmillan, 2011).
- Author(s)Darren Newbury
- PublisherBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Date of Publication22/10/2012
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Content Note170 illustrations
- Weight1134 g
- Width230 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Photographs byBrian Heseltine
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.