All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhether it's managing people, taking care of others or working collaboratively in a team, so much of what people do in the workplace is dependent on their ability to work effectively with others. Now in its fourth edition People Skills provides an up-to-date guide to the kwledge and skills required for working successfully with people. Written with the accessibility and practical application for which Neil Thompson is rewned, this book is written for people at all levels. Whether you're a social worker, nurse, youth worker, a manager or supervisor, or in any role that involves working with people and their problems, this book will help you to develop your skills and improve your effectiveness. Divided in to three key areas of people skills development: * Part I highlights the importance of personal effectiveness; it draws on the key personal skills that are essential to working with people. This includes time management, stress management, being creative and building resilience. * Part II explores core interaction skills; it begins by looking at the diversity of the people we interact with and goes on to equip readers with core communication skills, including verbal, nverbal and written. It also addresses complex tasks, such as managing conflict appropriately and successful interviewing. * Part III outlines the skills of intervention; it focuses on looking at what needs to be done and the necessary steps to make it happen. From developing anti-discriminatory practice to decision making and reflective practice, it focuses on problem-solving skills in the workplace. Packed with engaging features, each chapter includes practice focus boxes that help connect theory with real-life practice and exercises that stimulate and challenge the reader.
- Author BiographyNeil Thompson is a highly respected writer, teacher and adviser, with over 36 years' experience in the people professions. He has held full or honorary professorships at four UK universities, and is now a sought-after trainer, consultant and conference speaker. He runs the Avenue Professional Development Programme, an online learning community for people professionals. His website and blog are at www.neilthompson.info. A free subscription to his humansolutions newsletter is available from: http://www.humansolutions.org.uk/bulletin.
- Author(s)Neil Thompson
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight500 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement4th New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.