All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.81Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
- AU $23.93Trending at AU $24.87
About this product
- DescriptionPeople of the Book crosses continents and centuries to bring stories of hope amidst darkness, compassion amidst cruelty, all bound together by the discoveries made by a young Australian woman restoring an ancient Hebrew book. When Hanna Heath gets a call in the middle of the night in her Sydney home about a precious medieval manuscript that has been recovered from the smouldering ruins of war-torn Sarajevo, she kws she is on the brink of the experience of a lifetime. A rewned book conservator, she must w make her way to Bosnia to start work on restoring the Sarajevo Haggadah -- a Jewish prayer book -- to discover its secrets and piece together the story of its miraculous survival. But the trip will also set in motion a series of events that threaten to rock Hanna's orderly life, including her encounter with Ozren Karamen, the young librarian who risked his life to save the book. As meticulously researched as all of Brooks' previous work, People of the Book is a gripping and moving vel about war, art, love and survival.
- PrizesShortlisted for Barbara Jefferis Award 2009.
- Author(s)Geraldine Brooks
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication22/12/2007
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew South Wales
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Out-of-print date23/02/2010
- Weight520 g
- Width154 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Most relevant reviews
- hijeanne009 Jan, 2012by
One of the best books I have ever read, clever, interesting,engaging.
I love this book. I first read it in 2009 after a friend recommended it to me. I bought the first copy on eBay. I loaned that book to several friends and eventually it failed to return. Sadly I couldn't remember to whom I loaned it. Recently I wanted to read it again so I turned to eBay once again and purchased the book a second time ( for only 99 cents+ postage). This time I will not be lending it!