All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the perennial themes in philosophy is the problem of our access to the world around us; do our perceptual systems bring us into contact with the world as it is or does perception depend upon our individual conceptual frameworks? This volume of new essays examines reference as it relates to perception, action and realism, and the questions which arise if there is neutral perspective or independent way to kw the world. The essays discuss the nature of referring, concentrating on the way perceptual reference links us with the observable world, and go on to examine the implications of theories of perceptual reference for realism and the way in which scientific theories refer and thus connect us with the world. They will be of interest to a wide range of readers in philosophy of science, epistemology, philosophy of psychology, cognitive science and action theory.
- Author BiographyAthanasios Raftopoulos is professor of Epistemology and Cognitive Science in the Department of Psychology at the University of Cyprus. He is the author of Cognition and Perception: How Do Psychology and the Neural Sciences Inform Philosophy (2009), editor of Cognitive Penetrability of Perception: Attention, Action, Planning, and Bottom-up Constraints (2005) and co-editor of Emergence and Transformation in the Mind: Modelling and Measuring Cognitive Change (Cambridge University Press, 2004). Peter Machamer is professor of History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh, Associate Director of Pittsburgh's Center for Philosophy of Science and a member of the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition (CNBC). He is co-author, with J. E. McGuire, of Descartes' Changing Mind (2009). He is co-editor, with Gereon Wolters, of Interpretation (2010) and, with Michael Silberstein, of Blackwell's Guide to Philosophy of Science (2002).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus.
- Weight410 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byAthanassios Raftopoulos,Peter Machamer
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.26New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.75New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.87
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $60.98Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.