All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe collection of papers of this book discuss Whitehead s bold theory of perception from different angles. According to the major perspectives the book is divided into two major parts: the philosophical and the psychological perspective. The four philosophical papers focus on: the relation between Whitehead s theory of perception and his account of the phases of concrescence, the nature of causal explanations in Whitehead s theory of perception, a comparative study on Kitaro Nishida s philosophy of pure experience and Whitehead s philosophy of perception, and a contrasting account of Whitehead s theory of perception with that of Deleuze. In the five papers of part II of the book (-the psychological perspective-), some basic guidelines for conducting process-oriented psychological experiments on perceptgenesis are given. Then Whitehead s tri-modal theory of perception in the light of microgenetic research results is discussed. A comparison of Whitehead s position of the construction of solid objects with Piaget s account of the constructive development of the object permanent in the young child follows. In the fourth paper James Gibson s early position on perception is compared with Whitehead s account. Finally it is shown that Whitehead s theory of perception may provide a mode of access to rdinary experiences and an explanation for the emergence of rdinary states of consciousness.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Franz G. Riffert studied philosophy, theology, psychology and education at Salzburg University (Austria). He received grants to study at the Catholic University of Eichstatt (Germany) and at the Center for Process Studies, Los Angeles (USA). Since 1995 he has been working at the department for educational research at Salzburg University. His interests focus on studies in empirical education (diagnosis, intervention, methods of instruction, teacher training, school development, and self-evaluation) and philosophical foundations of education (with special emphasis on the works of A. N. Whitehead and K. R. Popper).
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/07/2007
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Notefig. and tables, 2 col. fig.
- Weight320 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byFranz G. Riffert
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.31New
- AU $24.97New
- AU $20.06New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.93New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.19New
- AU $21.90New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $16.56Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $78.42Trending at AU $90.91
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.56
- AU $21.41Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.