All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPerformative Listening: Hearing Others in Qualitative Research offers an alternative theory of listening as a performative act, or as a relational stance and performance in which listeners ethically engage in an act of learning from others across difference. This theory emerges from an interdisciplinary approach to performance studies, communication, musicology, and critical pedagogy in order to present a nuanced theory of listening as performance that is always linked to questions of context, individual experiences, and cultural expectations. Working from examples of the music and autobiography of Miles Davis, this book offers a clear and practical guide for applying performative listening in the contexts of qualitative, narrative, and arts-based approaches to research and inquiry. By emphasizing the embodied, relational, and creative functions of the highly contextual and cultural performance of listening, Performative Listening presents a theory and method that can be used to rethink the ways scholars and students engage with others in a wide variety of qualitative research and educational contexts.
- Author BiographyChris McRae (PhD, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale) is Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of South Florida. He has published articles on music performance and listening in journals such as Text and Performance Quarterly and Cultural Studies-Critical Methodologies.
- Author(s)Christine McRae
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication25/03/2015
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight260 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.