All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPerforming Africa is a collection of essays on contemporary African performance. From 1992 to 2002, Thomas Riccio worked with several groups in South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, West Africa, and Kenya - the Zulu and the !Xuu Bushmen of the Kalahari among them. Performing Africa combines a rare, in-the-field perspective with a keen insight into Africa's transformative and tumultuous confluence of tradition, urbanization, politics, history, and the AIDS crisis. The evolution of tradition and the emergence of dynamic new forms of expression are a matter of practical necessity and survival. An interdisciplinary approach and accessible language make Performing Africa a unique resource for those teaching or interested in the fields of cultural anthropology, sociology, drama therapy, theatre, performance, and African studies.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Thomas Riccio is Professor of Performance Studies and Artistic Director of Story Lab at the University of Texas at Dallas where he works with the Institute for Interactive Arts & Engineering. He received his MFA from Boston University. His previous positions include Professor of Theatre at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Visiting Professor at the Korean National University for the Arts and the University of Dar es Salaam, Artistic Director of Chicago's Organic Theater Company, Dramaturg/Resident Director at the Cleveland Play House, and Associate Literary Director at the American Repertory Theatre at Harvard. He has directed over 100 stage plays, including productions at the National Theatre of Italy and Off Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway. His articles have appeared in numerous journals. His plays have been produced in the United States and internationally and he is a recipient of numerous grants and awards, most recently a distinction prize for playwrighting from the Alexander S. Onassis Foundation.
- Author(s)Thomas Riccio
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight470 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.