All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresenting an alternative perspective, this book proposes that performing arts forge an emotional bond between the performer and the audience, making the act of performance a therapeutic and restorative experience, and t merely recreational. Studying the life-experiences of six artists, and their unique engagement with three art forms - music, drama and dance - the book highlights the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual effects of performing arts both on the performers and the audience. More importantly, it takes the current understanding of the therapeutic role of arts beyond a deficit model of health that focuses on their use in curing illnesses, disabilities and imbalances, towards a more positive growth-centric model that relates them to promoting holistic mental health, well-being and happiness. It thus bridges the gap between the theoretical understanding of creative arts therapy and the practical experience of performing arts in n-therapeutic settings. Further, it assumes increasing relevance with respect to fast-changing lifestyles to which stress and ill-health are often attributed. The book will appeal to artists, educators and researchers of performing arts, applied psychology, counselling and therapy, and cultural studies, as well as interested general readers.
- Author BiographyTanvi Bajaj is a Bharatnatyam dancer and is currently studying to become a Certified Movement Analyst in New York, US. Swasti Shrimali Vohra is Associate Professor, Department of Applied Psychology, University of Delhi, India.
- Author(s)Swasti Shrimali Vohra,Tanvi Bajaj
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/01/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCRC Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight399 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.