All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPersistent Progressives tells the story of the Rocky Mountain Farmers Union's evolution from an early movement against mopolists and wholesalers to a regional trailblazer for agriculture ideologies built on social democracy, the family farmer, and cooperative enterprises. As a continuing advocate for saving the family farm, the Farmers Union legacy provides a unique window into the transformation of the agriculture and rural communities in Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. Using data spanning decades, author John Freeman covers the founding of the RMFU in 1907 until the present, demonstrating how members continually sought to control the means of production and marketing by forming cooperatives, providing consumer services, and engaging in politics. Powering this evolution was a group of practical idealists -the Farmers Union leaders and titular persistent progressives who shaped the organization's growth and expansion. Initiated by Jim Patton, who brought the organization out of its oppositional roots and into its cooperative advocacy, the RMFU passed to John Stencel and then David Carter, joining hands with agricultural conservationists and small organic producers along the way to carry the torch for progressive agrarianism in today's urbanized world. Shaken but undeterred by some table failures, its leadership remains convinced of the efficacy of cooperatives as a means to achieve justice for all. Discussing the broader social, ecomic, political, and environmental issues related to farming, ranching, and urbanization, Persistent Progressives seamlessly blends regional history with ongoing issues of agricultural and ecomic development.
- Author BiographyJohn F. Freeman is the founder and president emeritus of the Wyoming Community Foundation. He has a PhD in early modern European history from the University of Michigan and is the author of High Plains Horticulture: A History, Black Hills Forestry: A History, and Persistent Progressives: The Rocky Mountain Farmers Union.
- Author(s)John F. Freeman
- PublisherUniversity Press of Colorado
- Date of Publication15/11/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationColorado
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Colorado
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight549 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.