All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.26Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionInspiring students to take a critical and multifaceted approach to reading, Perspectives combines skills instruction and authentic academic content to prepare learners for the demands of post-secondary education. In Part I of the text, a careful and thorough handling of reading skills and strategies-such as antating text, managing difficult vocabulary, assessing inferences, distinguishing between facts and opinions, and evaluating techniques of persuasion-establishes a foundation from which students can analyze and synthesize information. Explicit instruction is combined with activities, in the form of sentences, paragraphs, and short passages, giving students the opportunity to practise the skills and strategies immediately. Part II comprises eight stand-alone reading units, each with three readings selections from a different disciplinary perspective. These readings expose students to more than twenty academic disciplines, including sociology, environmental studies, mechanical engineering, business, and biology, within themed units that range from Maintaining Law and Order to Living with Nature to Culture. Each reading is followed by a variety of questions and activities to test students' comprehension and fundamental reading skills. The reading units end with an opportunity for reflection and synthesis, where students exercise more cognitively demanding reading skills, thinking critically about information related to all three readings in that unit. A thought-provoking, practical, and versatile resource, Perspectives affords students the tools required to take on their academic reading with confidence.
- Author BiographyMarina Rozenberg is an instructor for Fraser International College's EAP program, affiliated with Simon Fraser University, in Vancouver, BC. At FIC, she enjoys working with students of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds preparing for post-secondary studies. In addition to having taught English for almost 20 years in Canada and abroad, Marina has also developed curricula in academic reading and vocabulary acquisition, two areas of special interest. Marina was born in Ukraine and moved to Israel, where she graduated from Bar Ilan University with an M.A. in English and a Teaching Diploma. She is the author of Step Up to Academic Reading (OUP Canada, 2012).
- Author(s)Marina Rozenberg
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication08/01/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note42 full-colour photos and 36 figures
- Weight720 g
- Width204 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.