All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe book examines India's experience with poverty reduction in a period of rapid ecomic growth. Marshalling evidence from multiple sources of survey data and drawing on new methods, the book asks how India's structural transformation - from rural to urban, and from agriculture to nfarm sectors - is impacting poverty. The analysis suggests that since the early 1990s, urban growth has emerged as a much more important driver of poverty reduction than in the past. The publication focuses in particular on the role of small and medium size conurbations in India, both as the urban sub-sector in which urban poverty is overwhelmingly concentrated, and as a sub-sector that could potentially stimulate rural-based poverty reduction. Second, in rural areas, there is a focus on the nature of intersectoral transformation out of agriculture into the nfarm ecomy. Stagnation in agriculture has been accompanied by dynamism in the nfarm sector, but there is much debate about whether the growth seen has been a symptom of agrarian distress or a source of poverty reduction. Finally, alongside the accelerating ecomic growth and the highly visible transformation that is occurring in India's major cities, inequality is on the rise. This is raising concern that ecomic growth in India has by-passed significant segments of the population. The third theme on social exclusion asks if, despite the dramatic growth, historically grounded inequalities along lines of caste, tribe and gender have persisted.
- Author(s)World Bank,World Bank Publications
- PublisherWorld Bank Publications
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWorld Bank Publications
- Content Noteill.
- Weight397 g
- Width152 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.