Perspectives on Pragmatism: Classical, Recent, and Contemporary by Robert B. Brandom (Hardback, 2011)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPragmatism has been reinvented in every generation since its beginnings in the late nineteenth century. This book, by one of today's most distinguished contemporary heirs of pragmatist philosophy, rereads cardinal figures in that tradition, distilling from their insights a way forward from where we are w. Perspectives on Pragmatism opens with a new accounting of what is living and what is dead in the first three generations of classical American pragmatists, represented by Charles Sanders Peirce, William James, and John Dewey. Post-Deweyan pragmatism at midcentury is discussed in the work of Wilfrid Sellars, one of its most brilliant and original practitioners. Sellars' legacy in turn is traced through the thought of his admirer, Richard Rorty, who further developed James's and Dewey's ideas within the professional discipline of philosophy and once more succeeded, as they had, in showing the more general importance of those ideas t only for intellectuals outside philosophy but for the wider public sphere. The book closes with a clear description of the author's own analytic pragmatism, which combines all these ideas with those of Ludwig Wittgenstein, and synthesizes that broad pragmatism with its dominant philosophical rival, analytic philosophy, which focuses on language and logic. The result is a treatise that allows us to see American philosophy in its full scope, both its origins and its promise for tomorrow.
- Author BiographyRobert B. Brandom is Distinguished Professor in the Department of Philosophy, University of Pittsburgh.
- Author(s)Robert B. Brandom
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication21/10/2011
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note14 line illustrations, 2 tables
- Weight612 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.