All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEver since Peter Gabriel fronted progressive rock band Genesis, from the late 1960s until the mid 1970s, journalists and academics alike have ted the importance of Gabriel's contribution to popular music. His influence became especially significant when he embarked on a solo career in the late 1970s. Gabriel secured his place in the annals of popular music history through his poignant recordings, invative music videos, groundbreaking live performances, the establishment of WOMAD (the World of Music and Dance) and the Real World record label (as a forum for musicians from around the world to be heard, recorded and promoted) and for his political agenda (including links to a variety of political initiatives including the Artists Against Apartheid Project, Amnesty International and the Human Rights Now tour). In addition, Gabriel is kwn as a sensitive, articulate and critical performer whose music reflects an innate curiosity and deep intellectual commitment. This collection documents and critically explores the most central themes found in Gabriel's work. These are divided into three important conceptual areas arising from Gabriel's activity as a songwriter and recording artist, performer and activist: 'Identity and Representation', 'Politics and Power' and 'Production and Performance'.
- Author BiographyDr Michael Drewett, Senior Lecturer, Department of Sociology, Rhodes University, South Africa, Dr Sarah Hill, Lecturer in Music, Cardiff University, UK and Kimi KArki, Research Fellow, Department of Cultural History, University of Turku, Finland.
- Author(s)Dr Sarah Hill
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/07/2012
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAshgate Popular and Folk Music Series
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 9 b&w illustrations and 6 music examples
- Weight546 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDr Kimi Karki,Dr Michael Drewett
- Series Edited byProfessor Derek B. Scott,Professor Stan Hawkins,Professor Lori Burns
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.