All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the leading ethical thinkers of the modern age, Peter Singer has repeatedly been embroiled in controversy. Protesters in Germany closed down his lectures, mistakenly thinking he was advocating Nazi views on eugenics. Conservative publisher Steve Forbes withdrew generous donations to Princeton after Singer was appointed professor of bioethics. His belief that infanticide is sometimes morally justified has appalled people from all walks of life. Peter Singer Under Fire gives a platform to his critics on many contentious issues. Leaders of the disability rights group Not Dead Yet attack Singer's views on disability and euthanasia. Ecomists criticize the effectiveness of his ideas for solving global poverty. Philosophers expose problems in Singer's theory of utilitarianism and ethicists refute his position on abortion. Singer's engaging Intellectual Autobiography explains how he came by his controversial views, while detailed replies to each critic reveal further surprising aspects of his unique outlook.
- Author BiographyJeffrey A. Schaler is a professor in the Department of Justice, Law, and Society at American University's School of Public Affairs in Washington, D.C. He is the Executive Editor of Current Psychology: Developmental, Learning, Personality, Social.
- PublisherOpen Court Publishing Co ,U.S.
- Date of Publication05/02/2009
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOpen Court Publishing Co ,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight842 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byJeffrey A. Schaler
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.