All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $44.69Free postage
- AU $47.16Free postage
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.00Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionWhen a small group of three English families were landed in the bay below Rangihoua pa in 1814, under the protection of its chief and inhabitants, the story told in Pewhairangi began. It is the story of New Zealand's first permanent European settlement, at Hohi, and the church mission that it represented, and of the other mission communities subsequently established in the Bay of Islands, at Kerikeri, Paihia, Te Puna and Waimate. It is a story of Ngapuhi and Pakeha engagement, as neighbours, over four decades. More than anything else, the rich fabric of this book is a story of people: of the chiefs Te Pahi, Ruatara, Hongi Hika, Tareha, Korokoro, of the missionaries John King, Thomas Kendall, James Kemp, John Butler, George Clarke, William Yate and Henry Williams, of the mastermind Samuel Marsden, and of the wives and children of all these men: Hongi's wife Turikatuku and daughter Hariata, Hannah King and Hannah Butler, Hone Heke and George Clarke junior, Marianne Williams and Charlotte Kemp. And recording the multiple comings and goings in the Bay were the artists, amateur and professional, whose works supply many of the book's fine illustrations.
- Author BiographyAngela Middleton is a consultant archaeologist and honorary research fellow in the Department of Anthropology and Archaeology at the University of Otago. Pewhairangi draws on the author's ongoing examination of the archaeology of missionisation in New Zealand as well as its international comparative context. She has previously published Te Puna: A New Zealand mission station (2008) and Kerikeri Mission and Kororipo Pa: An entwined history (2013).
- Author(s)Angela Middleton
- PublisherOtago University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationDunedin
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintOtago University Press
- Content Notecolour illus
- Weight870 g
- Width171 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.